Thursday, October 29, 2009

Addition to Mark Steyn's article in Macleans - Oct 5th

Mark Steyn’s rant in the Oct.5th issue of MacLean’s left out how a normal, not-paranoid, 3rd generation Canadian would react if he were excluded from an inn because of allergies
or other health problems. I am unfortunately such a very average Canadian and I too have had problems with inns and my allergies to cats. Usually I ask the innkeeper whether he has cats. If the answer is yes, then after considering suing the innkeeper because my Constitutional rights to stay at that particular inn has been breached, and throwing a tantrum about racial, religion, or social prejudices, I just book at the next inn on my list. I figure that his loss of income is probably enough punishment for owning cats. In fact owning cats is probably enough punishment for owning cats. In any case, I probably have better things to do with my time than becoming a radical activist on behalf of the Constitutional rights of people with cat allergies, making one innkeeper’s life miserable by dragging him through the HRC system, and adding rather needlessly to the Ontario deficit.

The innkeeper didn’t own cats at the last bed and breakfast that I stayed at so I guess she didn’t intend to deprive me of my constitutional rights. She did however usually have
bacon for breakfast. I could have waited till she served it and then thrown up and sued her for damages or taken her before the HRC, but instead I asked her not to serve it to me. She agreed. However she served it to the person sitting beside me. What an insult! Surely she should understand that not only should she not serve bacon to me, but she shouldn’t serve it to anyone nearby, in the inn or on her street. Again I thought about my right not to have bacon in my vicinity, and that it would be an insult to my religion, and offend me personally, but decided not to peruse the matter. One of the reasons I decided against my almost uncontrollable call for revenge for this alleged offence was that the inconsiderate person sitting next to me eating bacon was my brother with whom I get along very well. Although it annoys me to see him eating bacon, I also know that I annoy
him with my chauvinistic eating habits. So, it is not worth even mentioning and our late mother would hate to see me sue him. So there you have it. I, an average Canadian, just don’t seem to be able to bring anyone before the HRC over such serious curtailments of my Constitutional rights.

No comments:

Post a Comment