Thursday, December 17, 2009

Ontario's Negligent Funding

The case of the Christian Horizons organization brings out two interesting questions. How far will the idea that all religious thought and actions are equivalent be allowed to proceed and to favour freedom of religion over all other freedoms; and how much prosyletizing and imposing of one's religious views on others will be accepted and subsibsidized by the Ontario government before it is considered to be excessive. To me, freedom of religion means freedom to practice one's religion in private, not necessarily freedom to prosyletize and certainly not freedom to impose private religious views on the public or those who are in some way reliant on you. In addition religious practices must not be contrary to criminal law. I do not want my taxes spent on people who would subtly and often not subtly push their religious views, practices, and prejudices on others. This is clearly what the Christian Horizon organization did. Recently I became aware that there was a booth in the Word of the Street festival that prosyletied for Islam. Word on the Street is Ontario's book and magazine publishers' festival and is supported by the Ontario government through the Ontario Media Development Corporation . The festival has nothing to do with the benefits of the Koran, so that booth should not have been there. In reply to my letter to the Ontario government notifying them about the misuse of their funds, and my taxes, I received a letter from Aileen Carroll the Minister of Culture, who told me to contact Word on the Street. In other words she was telling me that Ontario had no interest in what the funds were really used for and whether the funds had been misapplied. Since the real use of public funds has been ignored twice to my knowledge by the Ontario government, it appears to me that Ontario is being extremely lax or just plain negligent in its funding policies. If the name of the organization sounds good, Ontario will fund it and they don't monitor how the funds, my tax money, is spent. This is not only disappointing, but is a failure of their responsibilty to me, an Ontario resident and a taxpayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment