Saturday, September 26, 2009

Book review - God Is

I have just finished reading God is, My search for Faith in the Secular World, by David Richards. I recommend it. The review in the paper suggested that readers read one of his earlier books first. I read The Friends of Meager Fortune which I enjoyed but it was not necessary to read it. Richards talks a lot about the importance of faith. Some of it I didn't understand either because I just didn't understand it or because it was written from a Catholic perspective and I missed some background. I found the following points most interesting:

1."Tolstoy said there are three conditions for greatness: goodness, simplicity and truth."

2. " So any scientist who mocks faith has missed the most valuable precept of his creed. It is not only science but faith that science can work, which will keep us creating and discovering. ... When we do discover or invent, we will be inspired with, or by, a love of humanity." and " If a scientist did not have faith , then even the discoveries that came be accident wouldn't have happened."
3. "The choice is between faith and nothing"
4. Liberty is not the same as power. Here he deals with people like the Mayor Miller and "progressives" and suggests that they are not seeking
liberty for themselves or everyone, but power.

No comments:

Post a Comment